Please feel free to email Mary with suggestions of readings to add!
Very useful free reader: Critical Geographies: A Collection of Readings
- Mabogunje, A. L. (1990). Urban planning and the post-colonial state in Africa: a research overview. African Studies Review, 33(02), 121-203.
- Myers G (2011) African Cities: Alternative Visions of Urban Theory and Practice. London and New York: Zed Books
- Parnell, S., & Pieterse, E. A. (2014). Africa’s urban revolution. Zed Books.
- Simon, D. (1992). Cities, capital and development: African cities in the world economy. * Belhaven Press.
- Rakodi, C. (1997). The urban challenge in Africa: Growth and management of its large cities. United Nations Univ.
- Davidson, B. (1959). The lost cities of Africa. J. Currey.
- The works of Akin Mabogunje; for an overview, see here
Other texts we found particularly useful:
- De Boeck, F., and Plissart, M-F. (2004) Kinshasa: Tales of the Invisible City. Antwerp: Ludon
- Freund, B. (2007) The African City: A History, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Pieterse E (2008)City Futures: Confronting the Crisis of Urban Development. London: Zed Press
- Myers G (2003) Verandahs of Power: Colonialism and Space in Urban Africa. Syracuse University Press
- Simone A (2004) For the City Yet to Come: Changing African Life in Four Cities. London and Durham: Duke University Press
- Simone A (2011) City Life from Jakarta to Dakar: Movements at the Crossroads. London: Routledge
- Stefan, K. (2007) ‘Fanon and Space: colonization, urbanization, and liberation from the colonial to the global city’, Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 25: 701-726.
See more here on the African Centre for Cities website
A good overview:
- Robbins P (2012)Political Ecology: A Critical Introduction. Second edn. Malden and Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell
- Blaikie P and Brookfield H (1987)Land Degradation and Society. London: Methuen.
- Peet R and Watts M (eds.) (1996 and 2004) Liberation Ecologies: Environment, Development, Social Movements. London: Routledge
- Rocheleau D E, Thomas-Slayter B and Wangari E (eds) (1996) Feminist Political Ecology: Global Issues and Local Experience. London: Routledge
Urban Political Ecology
- Heynen, N. (2013). Urban political ecology I: The urban century. Progress in Human Geography, 0309132513500443.
- Keil R (2003) Urban political ecology: A progress report.Urban Geography 24:723–738
- Keil R (2005) Progress report: Urban political ecology.Urban Geography 26:640–651
- Zimmer A (2010) Urban political ecology: theoretical concepts, challenges, and suggested future directions. Erkunde4:343–35
- Heynen, N, Kaika, M and Swyngedouw, E (2006)In the Nature of Cities. London: Routledge
- Swyngedouw E (2004) Social Power and the Urbanisation of Water. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Myers, G. A. (1999). Political ecology and urbanisation: Zanzibar’s construction materials industry. The Journal of modern African studies, 37(01), 83-108.
Other works we found particularly useful:
- Lawhon, Mary, Ernstson, Henrik and Jonathan Silver. (2014). Provincialising urban political ecology: towards a situated UPE through African urbanism. Antipode. 46(2): 497-516
- Loftus A (2012) Everyday Environmentalism: Creating an Urban Political Ecology Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press
- Myers G (2008) Sustainable development and environmental justice in African cities.Geography Compass 2(3):695–708
- Gabriel N (2014) Urban Political Ecology: Environmental Imaginary, Governance, and the Non-HumanGeography Compass 8(1):38-48
- Monstadt J (2009) Conceptualizing the political ecology of urban infrastructures: Insights from technology and urban studies. Environment and Planning A41(8): 1924-1942
- Swyngedouw E (1996) The city as a hybrid: On nature, society and cyborg urbanization.Capitalism, Nature, Socialism 7(2): 65–80
- Swyngedouw E (2006) Circulations and Metabolisms: (Hybrid) Natures and (Cyborg) Cities.Science and Culture15:105–121
- Myers, G. (2016). Urban environments in Africa: A critical analysis of environmental politics. Bristol: Policy Press. (out soon!)
Empirical cases (African)
- Gandy M (2006) Planning, anti-planning and the infrastructure crisis facing metropolitan Lagos.Urban Studies 43(2):371–396
- Lawhon M (2013) Flows, friction and the sociomaterial metabolization of alcohol.Antipode 45(3): 681-701
- Myers G (2005) Disposable Cities: Garbage, Governance And Sustainable Development in Urban Africa. Burlington, Vt.: Ashgate Publishing
- Njeru J (2006). The urban political ecology of plastic bag waste problem in Nairobi, Kenya.Geoforum, 37(6): 1046-58.
- Njeru, J. (2013). “Donor-driven” neoliberal reform processes and urban environmental change in Kenya: The case of Karura Forest in Nairobi.Progress in Development Studies 13(1): 63–78
- Silver, J. (2014). Incremental infrastructures: material improvisation and social collaboration across post-colonial Accra. Urban Geography, 35(6), 788-804.
Empirical cases (non-African)
- Kaika M (2005) City of Flows: Modernity, Nature and the City.London and New York: Routledge
- Ranganathan M (In press) Paying for Pipes, Claiming Citizenship: Political Agency and Water Reforms at the Urban PeripheryInternational Journal of Urban and Regional Research
- Rademacher, A,. and Sivaramakrishnan, K. (eds) (2013)Ecologies of Urbanism in India:Metropolitan Civility and Sustainability. New York: Columbia University Press
- Truelove Y (2011) (Re-)Conceptualizing water inequality in Delhi, India through a feminist political ecology framework. Geoforum42(2):143–152
- Gandy M (2004) Rethinking urban metabolism: water, space and the modern city.City 8(3):363–379.
- Gandy M (2005) Cyborg urbanization: complexity and monstrosity in the contemporary city.International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 29(1):26–49
- Heynen N (2003) The scalar production of injustice within the urban forest.Antipode 35(5):980–998 Swyngedouw E and Heynen N (eds) (2003) Urban political ecology in advanced capitalist countries. Antipode35(5)
- Swyngedouw E (1997) Power, nature, and the city. The conquest of water and the political ecology of urbanization in Guayaquil, Ecuador: 1880-1990.Environment and Planning A 29(2):311–332
- Chakrabarty, D (2000).Provincialising Europe: Postcolonial Thought and Historical Difference. Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press
- Comaroff J and Comaroff J (2011)Theory from the South: Or, How Euro-America Is Evolving Towards Africa. Boulder: Paradigm Publishers
- Connell (2007)Southern Theory: The Global Dynamics of Knowledge in Social Science. Cambridge: Polity Press
- Derickson, K. D. (2014). Urban geography I Locating urban theory in the ‘urban age’. Progress in Human Geography, 0309132514560961.
- Robinson J (2002) Global and World Cities: A view from off the map, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 26(3):531-554
- Roy A (2009) The 21st-century metropolis: new geographies of theory.Regional Studies 43(6): 819–30
Other works we found particularly useful:
- Ernstson, H., Lawhon, M., & Duminy, J. (2014). Conceptual vectors of African urbanism:‘engaged theory-making’and ‘platforms of engagement’. Regional Studies, 48(9), 1563-1577.
- Robinson J (2006) Ordinary Cities: Between Modernity and Development. Routledge, London
- Bayat A (2000) From ‘Dangerous Classes’ to ‘Quiet Rebels’: politics of the urban subaltern in the Global South. International Sociology15:533-557
- Lawhon M (2013) Situated, networked environmentalisms: a case for environmental theory from the South.Geography Compass 7(2): 128–138
- Parnell, S., & Oldfield, S. (2014). The Routledge handbook on cities of the global south. Routledge.
- Simone A (2004) People as infrastructure: Intersecting fragments in Johannesburg.Public Culture 16(3): 407-429